CHEAT MERINGUE CHEESECAKE
Prep Time: 20 Min
- 200 g tea biscuits, such as Bakers Tennis, crushed
- 80 g dried desiccated coconut, toasted
- 125 g butter, melted
- 2 x 250 g tubs cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 x 398 g tin condensed milk
- 2 large egg yolks
- 100 ml fresh lemon juice
- 15 ml lemon zest
- 2 egg large whites
- Pinch of salt
- 100 g castor sugar
- 200 ml store-bought passion fruit coulis
- Preheat the oven to 180°C and lightly grease an 18 cm loose bottom spring form baking tin with cooking spray.
- Mix the crushed biscuits with the toasted coconut and melted butter. Tip into the prepared tin and press the mixture down to form the base and sides.
- To make cheesecake: Whisk the cream cheese until smooth, adding the condensed milk a little at a time, until combined. Stir in the egg yolks, the lemon juice and zest and mix to combine. Pour the filling over the biscuit base and bake for 25 minutes. Remove from the oven and cool completely.
- To make the meringue topping: Place the egg whites in a clean bowl and beat until frothy. Add the salt and beat again until soft peaks stage. This takes 3 minutes on medium to high speed.
- Add the castor sugar, 30 ml at a time, beating well after each addition until all the sugar is dissolved and until stiff peak stage is reached – for about 5 minutes – and the egg whites are shiny, fluffy and glossy. Do not overbeat as this will deflate the meringue.
- Spoon the meringue on top of the centre part of the baked cheesecake and blow torch until caramelised or grill in the oven for about 5 minutes until the meringue is golden.
- Drizzle with the passion fruit coulis all around the meringue and serve immediately.
Make sure that you use a clean bowl when making the meringue.
Make sure to properly separate the egg yolks from the whites as this will prevent the whites from fluffing-up.