CHOCOLATE & PEAR PAVLOVA
6 Large egg whites, at room temperature
350g castor sugar
10ml corn flour
10ml white wine vinegar
50ml cocoa powder
4-6 firm pears
30 – 50ml butter
- Preheat the oven to 140°
- Line one or two baking trays with baking paper.
- Using an electric beater, beat the egg whites in a large bowl until stiff. Whisk in the sugar, a spoonful at a time until the merigue is stiff.
- Mix the cornflour and vinegar together and then fold into the meringue mixture. Fold in 10ml of the sifted cocoa powder. Remove about 100-150ml of the meringue mixture and mix with the remaining cocoa to form a smooth paste. Spoon the cocoa mixture onto the meringue and fold through two or three times to create a marbled effect.
- Spoon out onto the lined baking tray in a large circle. Hollow the middle slightly with the back of a spoon.
- Bake in a preheated oven for one hour, or until firm on the outside. Switch the oven off and leave to cool completely. (The middle will remain slightly soft.) Cool then remove the baking paper.
- Peel, halve and core the pears. Place them into a roasting dish and drizzle with honey and put a small blob of butter onto each piece of pear. Roast for 30 minutes. Turn the pears over and roast for a further 30 minutes.
Whip the cream until stiff. Spoon onto the meringue and then top with the cooled roasted pears and honey.
Kimberley Wood is a qualified chef and established food stylist specialising in videography, stills and recipe development. @kimberly_wood_food_stylist