CHOCOLATE SWIRL MERINGUES
- 3 large egg whites, at room temperature
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons icing sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla essence
- ½ teaspoon white vinegar
- 200g dark chocolate, melted and cooled slightly
- Pre-heat oven to 140 degrees. Line a baking tray with baking paper and set aside.
- Place the egg whites in a stand mixer bowl fitted with a whisk and whip until stiff peaks are formed. Gradually incorporate both sugars (about 2 tablespoons at a time) and then the vanilla and vinegar. Increase speed and whip until mixture is stiff, glossy and able to hold its shape.
- Drizzle chocolate on top of meringue but do not mix in. Spoon out and drop mixture onto lined baking tray.
- Repeat step 2 until all the chocolate and meringue is used.
- Bake meringue for about 40-50 minutes or meringue easily peels away from baking paper. Cool on a wire rack.
Recipe and styling by Lisa Clark, Food Stylist & Chef
Lisa Clark is an established Cape Town food stylist with a background as a chef and product developer. This experience, along with her passion for design and form has led her to work with some of South Africa’s best photographers and companies.