EASY SMOKED SALMON AND BERRY SALAD
A guilt-free but decadently delicious recipe from Siba Mtongana
Prep time: 10 Min
- 200 g smoked salmon ribbons
- 100 g purple lettuce leaves, loosely torn
- 60 g baby rocket leaves
- 12 strawberries; some quartered and others sliced
- 12 gooseberries; some halved
- 2 semi-ripe black figs, sliced
- 30 ml soy sauce
- 15 ml sesame oil or olive oil
- 15 ml water
- 5 ml lemon juice
- 5 ml honey to taste
- Pinch of chilli flakes
- To assemble the salmon ribbons: Create the smoked salmon ribbons by folding them loosely into a zig-zag or ribbon-like formation using your hands. Set aside the ribbons.
- Place equal amounts of lettuce and rocket on two serving plates. Top with the berries and figs, and gently place the folded salmon ribbons on top.
- To make the dressing: Mix together the dressing ingredients, whisking until combined. Delicately drizzle over the salad just before serving.
Strawberries generally complement savoury ingredients such as salmon or even slightly sweeter ones like roasted butternut; as well as mature and pungent flavours such as blue cheese. This strawberry flavour profile versatility is why you will find them in my salads from time to time.