A classic breakfast or brunch favourite, eggs benedict is the perfect stack of freshly toasted English muffin, smoked ham, or fresh spinach, and eggs, topped with a creamy hollandaise sauce. Yum!
The Froached eggs
An entirely new and healthier way of cooking eggs, froaching uses the concepts of frying and poaching to create evenly cooked eggs using 95% less oil than regular frying.
Using the handy Joseph Joseph froach pods:
- Pre-heat a non-stick pan on med-high until hot.
- Add a small amount of oil to the inside edge of the egg ring and place it in the pan. Important: Do not place any oil on the base edge that will touch the pan or in the pan itself.
- Crack your egg into the central hole in the egg ring.
- After 30 seconds, add 1 tbsp. of water to the reservoir at the top.
- When the water has drained or boiled dry (approx. 30 secs), add another tbsp. of water and continue to repeat until the egg is cooked to your taste.
- Using the tab, carefully lift off the egg ring. Serve the egg using a fish slice or our Elevate™ Egg Spatula. Caution: hot steam can burn.
Simple Hollandaise sauce
Hollandaise sauce uses simple ingredients to make something extra special.
- 1 stick unsalted butter
- 3 egg yolks
- 1/4 tsp salt (unless using salted butter)
- Pinch of pepper – cayenne/white/black
- 4 tsp lemon juice
You will need a handheld or stick blender to make this recipe.
- Place the butter in a small pan and melt it over a low heat. Don’t let it brown, turning off the heat as soon as the butter is just melted.
- Add egg yolks, lemon juice, salt and pepper into a measuring jug that the head of your handheld blender fits into.
- Blend for a minute, until well mixed and light in colour.
- Keeping the blender in the jug, on the slowest setting, slowly pour over the hot melted butter.
- As the sauce combines move the blender up through the sauce.
- Check your sauce, it should be slightly lemony and lightly seasoned.
- Add extra lemon, salt and pepper to taste.
- Best served immediately
Lightly toast an English muffin or soft Portuguese roll and top with lightly fried or smoked ham, or wilted spinach. Add your froached eggs and pour over the hollandaise.