CRISPY SOUTHERN FRIED CHICKEN WITH PICKLES
A family favourite chicken dish, this is a recipe to keep on hand for when the craving hits.
- 4 Chicken thighs or 6 chicken drumsticks
- 250 ml Buttermilk
- 1 Whole lemon
- Salt and coarse black pepper
- 1 Teaspoon paprika
- 1 Teaspoon baking powder
- 1 Cup cake flour
- 1 /2 Cup corn flour
- 1 Large zip lock re-sealable bag
- Vegetable oil for frying
- Season the chicken really well with the paprika, salt and pepper, then add the buttermilk and chicken in the zip lock bag. Squeeze out as much air as possible and seal the bag. Mix well with your hands and refrigerate for at least 1 day for all the flavour to pull through the chicken and the buttermilk to tenderise the thighs.
- For the flour mixture: add the cake flour, cornstarch and baking powder in a flat bowl. Season well and mix through.
- Next, take the marinated chicken pieces from the buttermilk and place in the flour mixture. Coat really well, getting the flour in all the nooks and crannies. This will create all the delicious crispy bits. Take your time here; it’s the most important part of the process.
- Heat up the vegetable oil in a large pot on medium heat and fry the chicken till golden brown.
- When ready, remove and place on a wire cake rack to cool down. Season with coarse salt.
- Serve with crisp lettuce (Romaine will be perfect), lemon wedges, sliced pickles and your favourite dipping sauce.
- For the dipping sauce, try this: mix a tablespoon of Sriracha sauce with 1/2 cup of mayonnaise.
Chef Juan Neethling is the Executive Chef at Southern Sun Waterfront in Cape Town’s bustling foreshore. In 2018 he was awarded the Unilever Food Solutions Senior Chef of the year. From trainee chef at the Lord Charles Hotel in Somerset West to over 20 years working in various hotels, fine dining restaurants and wine farms, Juan combines his love for cooking at home with his 5-star expertise in creating easy and accessible recipes anyone can try.