FRIED POTATO SKINS, CRISP PLANTAIN & SPICY AVOCADO DIP
You’ve got yourself the perfect snack to enjoy with a cocktail in the sun with the family.
- 1 Large avocado
- 1 Red chilli
- Fresh lemon
- Salt and coarse black pepper
- 50 ml Mayonnaise
- 1 Plantain banana
- 2 Large potatoes
- For the avocado sauce: peel and seed the avocado, mask with a fork, add the chopped chilli, seeds and all, season, and add the mayonnaise. Whisk till fine, taste, and add lemon to your liking.
“This is my go-to dipping sauce for braais with crisps or freshly-baked bread. “
- For the potato skins: peel the washed potatoes with a peeler. Pat the skins dry and fry till golden brown. Season with sea salt.
- For the plantain: peel and cut it in half down the middle, then cut strips lengthwise and fry in medium heated oil till golden brown. Place on a paper towel when done to soak in all the excess oil and season with sea salt.
- Serve with a tomato, onion and vinegar salsa, and the avocado dipping sauce.
- Plantain can be purchased at local fruit and vegetable suppliers. Use ones that are just starting to turn yellow, but that are not grass green.
Chef Juan Neethling is the Executive Chef at Southern Sun Waterfront in Cape Town’s bustling foreshore. In 2018 he was awarded the Unilever Food Solutions Senior Chef of the year. From trainee chef at the Lord Charles Hotel in Somerset West to over 20 years working in various hotels, fine dining restaurants and wine farms, Juan combines his love for cooking at home with his 5-star expertise in creating easy and accessible recipes anyone can try.