JUAN’S MEXICAN SPICY GRILLED CORN
- 4 whole corn on the cob, with husks still attached
- ¼ cup good quality mayonnaise
- ¼ cup Greek yoghurt
- 2 cloves fresh chopped garlic
- 2 whole limes
- 1tsp chilli powder
- ½ cup finely grated Pecorino cheese
- ½ hand full of fresh coriander
- ½ cup melted butter
- Salt & black pepper
- Blend yoghurt, mayonnaise, juice of 1 lime. Season with chilli powder, salt and pepper to taste.
- Clean corn, remove all the stringy/hairy bits, keep the rest of the husks attached, fold back the husks like a ponytail & tie back with kitchen or butchers string
- Blanch corn in salted boiling water for 1 minute & refresh in ice water
- When your outside grill is at a good temperature, start grilling the whole corn, turning every so often, while brushing with melted butter. When it is a good golden brown colour, slightly charred, remove from heat.
- Brush generously with the yoghurt/mayo & lime dressing
- Sprinkle the soft pecorino cheese and dust with chilli powder.
- Serve with lime wedges and chopped coriander
- This is a great side dish for a braai with tons of flavour & a South African favourite with a twist!
The corn can also be cooked whole in the husks for 20 to 30 minutes on medium heat on the grill & then peeled, cleaned & tied back, making it easier to eat, instead on blanching it in hot water.
Chef Juan Neethling is the Executive Chef at Southern Sun Waterfront in Cape Town’s bustling foreshore. In 2018 he was awarded the Unilever Food Solutions Senior Chef of the year. From trainee chef at the Lord Charles Hotel in Somerset West to over 20 years working in various hotels, fine dining restaurants and wine farms, Juan combines his love for cooking at home with his 5-star expertise in creating easy and accessible recipes anyone can try.