- 2 KG Free Range Chicken
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- Rinse the chicken, and pat dry. Place the chicken, breast side down, on a cutting board. Using sharp kitchen scissors, cut along both sides of backbone, and remove backbone. Turn chicken breast side up, and open the underside of chicken like a book. Using the heel of your hand, press firmly against breastbone until it cracks. Place chicken in a large rimmed baking pan. Tuck wing tips under chicken so they don’t burn.
- Make the marinade by combining the olive oil, spices, salt, garlic and sugar in a bowl.
- Brush ¾ of the marinade over the whole chicken, evenly. Make sure to add some under the skin where possible. Cover and refrigerate 3-4 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 200˚C Roast for 45 minutes, until the skin is browned and the chicken is cooked through and juicy.
CHEF’S TIP: Transfer the chicken to a cutting board and let rest for 10 minutes before serving.
Kimberley Wood is a qualified chef and established food stylist specialising in videography, stills and recipe development. @kimberly_wood_food_stylist