RED WINE BRAISED OXTAIL & BUTTER BEANS
A rich dish with tons of flavour. The butter beans give a silky feeling in your mouth and the gremolata adds the freshness.
- 1kg Oxtail
- Cake flour for dusting
- 30ml (2 Tbsp) olive oil
- 15ml (1 Tbsp) butter
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 2 large celery sticks, sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 50g tomato paste
- 500ml (2 cups) beef stock
- 160ml (2/3 cup) good quality red wine (I prefer to use Shiraz)
- Thyme or rosemary, to taste
- 1 x 400g canned butter beans, drained
- Sea salt and coarse black pepper, to taste
For the gremolata
- 250ml (1 cup) Italian parsley
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1 large garlic clove
- 2.5ml (½ teaspoon) thyme, chopped
- 2.5ml (½ teaspoon) chives, chopped
- 100ml olive oil
- Sea salt, to taste
- Season the oxtail well with salt and pepper. Coat in flour, making sure to shake off all the excess flour.
- Fry the olive oil, butter and oxtail until golden brown in a pressure cooker. Remove and set aside.
- In the same pot, fry the onions, carrots and celery until light brown. Add chopped garlic and fry for another minute. Add tomato paste and fry for another 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add wine and continue to stir for another minute. Add beef stock, wine and herbs. The oxtail should be covered in liquid. If needs be, add more water.
- Cook for approximately 45 minutes in the pressure cooker until the oxtail starts loosening from the bone.
- Season to taste.
- Now add the butter beans and cook on a low heat for a further 3 to 5 minutes.
For the gremolata
- Mix together all ingredients and season with sea salt to taste.
Serve with mashed sweet potato or crisp potato gnocchi and buttered long stem broccoli
Chef Juan Neethling is the Executive Chef at Southern Sun Waterfront in Cape Town’s bustling foreshore. In 2018 he was awarded the Unilever Food Solutions Senior Chef of the year. From trainee chef at the Lord Charles Hotel in Somerset West to over 20 years working in various hotels, fine dining restaurants and wine farms, Juan combines his love for cooking at home with his 5-star expertise in creating easy and accessible recipes anyone can try.