STICKY CHICKEN SALAD, WITH CRISP WONTON PASTRY & PINEAPPLE
- 2 chicken breasts, sliced
- 6 sheets of wonton pastry
- Flour for dusting
- 15ml (1 Tbsp) sesame seeds
- 1 egg
- 1 small pineapple, cut into rings and grilled on a griddle pan
- ½ a cucumber, peeled and cubed
- English spinach and rocket leaves, to taste
- Sugar snaps or snow peas, to taste
- Sea salt and coarse black pepper, to taste
For the marinade
- 125ml (1/2 cup) tomato sauce
- 125ml (1/2 cup) chutney
- 30ml (2 Tbsp) soy sauce
- 5g garlic, grated
- 10g ginger, grated
- ½ red chilli, chopped and seeds removed
- 37.5ml (2.5 Tbsp) honey
- 5g fresh coriander, chopped
For the dressing
- 125ml (½ cup) olive oil
- Dash of sesame oil
- 5ml (1 tsp) soy sauce
- 30ml (2 Tbsp) rice vinegar (regular vinegar can also be used)
- Chives, chopped, to taste
- Add all ingredients to a saucepan. Simmer over low heat for 4 – 5 minutes and remove from heat.
- Wonton crisps – whisk an egg. Make an egg line on the wonton with your finger from one corner to the other. Sprinkle the egg strip with the toasted sesame seeds. Fry the wonton pastry in hot cooking oil until golden brown and place on paper towel to drain all excess oil.
- Chicken – season the chicken strips and dust with flour, making sure to shake off the excess flour. Fry until brown in a non-stick frying pan. Add marinade and cook until chicken is well coated and the sauce has a sticky consistency. Remove from heat.
- Dressing – add ingredients to a bowl and whisk to emulsify.
- Plating – start with the lettuce for a base and layer the rest of the ingredients, adding the wonton crisps and chicken last.
- Garnish with flat leaf parsley and the rest of the toasted sesame seeds.
- Serve dressing on the side.
Chef Juan Neethling is the Executive Chef at Southern Sun Waterfront in Cape Town’s bustling foreshore. In 2018 he was awarded the Unilever Food Solutions Senior Chef of the year. From trainee chef at the Lord Charles Hotel in Somerset West to over 20 years working in various hotels, fine dining restaurants and wine farms, Juan combines his love for cooking at home with his 5-star expertise in creating easy and accessible recipes anyone can try.