SWEET & SOUR CHICKEN WITH BELL PEPPERS, PINEAPPLE AND STEAMED BASMATI
- 3 / 4 skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-size squares
- Cubed pineapple (fresh or canned), separate juice and fruit
- Cubed red bell pepper, 1,5cm
- Cubed red onion, 1,5cm
- Steamed basmati rice (normal long grain rice will work too)
- Sliced spring onion (cut at a slant)
- Coarse black pepper
- Few sprigs of fresh coriander (optional)
- Juice from the tinned pineapple 250ml (can be replaced with apple juice)
- 1/3 cup rice wine vinegar
- 4 Tbsps. tomato sauce
- 2 Tbsps. soya sauce
- 1 Tbsp. corn flour
- Chopped ginger and garlic
Batter for Chicken
- 2 Tbsps. rice wine vinegar (can be replaced with regular vinegar)
- 1 Tbsp. sesame oil
- Coarse black pepper
- 3 Tbsps. cooking oil
- 250g – 300g self-rising flour
Marinate the chicken with the rice wine vinegar, sesame oil, salt and coarse black pepper. Set aside to draw in the flavour.
Add all the ingredients to a saucepot and bring to the boil, gently whisking, until the sauce starts to thicken. Set aside.
Sauté cubed peppers and onion for 3 – 4 minutes. Add to the sauce, together with the pineapple cubes.
Add the oil and the flour to a mixing bowl. Add water and whisk until a smooth thick batter forms.
Do not make batter too thin.
Add the chicken to the batter and mix well.
In medium heated oil, using a toothpick, fry the chicken cubes till golden brown and fluffy.
Add the cooked chicken to the sauce and mix gently. Serve over the steamed basmati rice, sliced spring onion and sprigs of coriander. Season with coarse black pepper to taste.
The chicken can be substituted for pork or beef cubes if you prefer – it works just as well.
Chef Juan Neethling is the Executive Chef at Southern Sun Waterfront in Cape Town’s bustling foreshore. In 2018 he was awarded the Unilever Food Solutions Senior Chef of the year. From trainee chef at the Lord Charles Hotel in Somerset West to over 20 years working in various hotels, fine dining restaurants and wine farms, Juan combines his love for cooking at home with his 5-star expertise in creating easy and accessible recipes anyone can try.