VEGAN CABBAGE ROLLS WITH BROWN RICE, LENTILS & BASIL INFUSED TOMATO SAUCE
- 1 Large cabbage
- 2 Table spoons extra Virgin olive oil
- 1 cup cooked brown lentils
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- Small onion chopped
- 4 cloves garlic chopped
- ½ cup dried apricots chopped
- 1 teaspoon chopped thyme
- Smoked paprika
- 1 Table spoon good Quality soya sauce
- 1 Table spoon tomato paste
- 1 Bottle tomato passata
- ½ hand full of basil
- 6 cherry tomatoes
- Sauté the ½ the chopped onion and ½ chopped garlic. When golden brown, add the soya sauce and tomato paste. Season
- Add rice, lentils, paprika, apricots and thyme. Mix well. Taste and season
- Remove outer leaves of the cabbage and boil until just starting to change colour and place in ice water for a few seconds. Roll into a spring roll or burrito shape
- For the tomato sauce – sauté onions and garlic. Add Passata and ½ of the basil leaves. simmer for a few minutes
- Remove from heat and blend well. Taste and season.
- Garnish with quartered cherry tomatoes and the rest of basil leaves and vegan cabbage rolls & drizzle of Extra Virgin Olive oil & course black pepper
Lentils can be substituted for crispy fried tofu, for some crunch and added texture.
Chef Juan Neethling is the Executive Chef at Southern Sun Waterfront in Cape Town’s bustling foreshore. In 2018 he was awarded the Unilever Food Solutions Senior Chef of the year. From trainee chef at the Lord Charles Hotel in Somerset West to over 20 years working in various hotels, fine dining restaurants and wine farms, Juan combines his love for cooking at home with his 5-star expertise in creating easy and accessible recipes anyone can try.