WHAT THE WAFFLE? DELICIOUSLY WEIRD WAFFLE TRENDS.
The waffle. This dessert time classic with a distinctive grid texture and golden crunchy outside is trending in everything from cooking to clothing and homeware.
Let’s look at some of the unique trends for this tasty treat.
Savoury waffle ideas
Use a savoury waffle batter to make these delicious alternatives
- Make a savoury waffle to use instead of a pizza base.
- Add the usual toppings like a tomato sauce, mixed herbs and top with mozzarella and your other favourite toppings
- Put your waffles under the grill in the oven until cheese melts
- Make savoury waffle batter
- Cook chopped bacon and add to the batter
- Cook as usual
- Top with Fried or scrambled eggs, grilled tomatoes and fresh rocket
Waffles with a difference
French toast waffles
- Make a standard waffle
- Place it in an egg and cinnamon mixture as you would with french toast until soaked through
- Cook soaked waffle in a pan until golden and crispy
- Top with fresh fruit, cinnamon sugar and honey
Banana sugar-free pancake waffles
- Make a mixture from this ratio 1 egg: 1 tablespoon of any flour: 1 teaspoon vanilla essence: 1 mashed banana
- Place it in the waffle machine until cooked through
- This will be a softer pancake-like version of a waffle with no added sugar. You can use any flour of your choice including almond flour for a gluten-free option.
- Drizzle a warm cooked waffle with syrup or honey. Allow to cool and soak up the syrup
- Cut into even-sized strips
- Place on a baking sheet in an oven preheated to 160 degrees
- Bake for 5-10 minutes on each side or until they feel crunchy and dry, turning them over halfway
- Allow to cool on a rack and store in an airtight container
Tools to get waffling: